Unleash potential in our community
New York State Education Law Section 409-H, effective July 1, 2001, requires all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notification to all persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff regarding the potential use of pesticides periodically throughout the school year. The Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES is required to maintain a list of persons in parental relation, faculty, and staff who wish to receive 48-hour prior written notification of certain pesticide applications. The following pesticide applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- a school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72-hours following an application;
- anti-microbial products; ▪ nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible tochildren;
- nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible tochildren;
- silica gels and other nonvolatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children;
- boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate;
- the application of EPA designated biopesticides; ▪ the application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40 CFR§152.25;
- the use of aerosol products with a directed spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from an imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps, and hornets.
In the event of an emergency application necessary to protect against an imminent threat to human health, a good faith effort will be made to supply written notification to those on the 48-hour prior notification list.
If you would like to be placed on BOCES 48-hour prior notification list, please contact: Al Albring, Assistant Director of Facilities, Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES, 1879 West Genesee Street Road, Auburn, NY 13021 (315) 253-0361, Ext. 7690 Fax: (315) 252-6361