STARTT HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY
Alternative High School
BOCES Regional Education Center
1879 West Genesee Street Road
Auburn, NY 13021
Natalie Scavone - Principal of Alternative Education
Shelly Pflug - Social Worker
STARTT HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY is designed to work with 15 and 16 year old students who have not been successful in the traditional school setting. This program is intended for students who cannot be served in the home school district because of extended and prolonged disciplinary histories. Students may enter the program through a formal superintendent's dismissal hearing or an informal conference. The program works on academic study areas that lead to academic and pro-social achievement that is designed based on studentsí unique needs. Academic courses that are offered include English, Global Studies, and Integrated Algebra and Environmental Science. Students served by this program receive counseling and support services. Career exploration and life skills are central to the program. The program places a strong emphasis on building positive partnerships between students, families, and school. STARTT HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY is intended for students who fall between the Middle School level and various GED programs. Students participate for three hours of academic instruction during the day. Two sessions with seven students per session constitute the instructional day. Classroom space has been designed to provide small group instruction and counseling for students and families. Innovative and collaborative connections with community and school resources enhance the academic programs.
Who Should Participate
Students who are 15 or 16 years old and:
- Have established a significant disciplinary record
- Are absent from school and have missed significant instructional time
- Are failing courses and falling behind their peers in the classroom
- Have found little success with remediation counseling and various other interventions
- Are at risk of dropping out of school
- Have the cognitive ability to do high school level academics
- Have aquired little or no high school credit
STARTT HIGH SCHOOL ACADEMY offers students:
- An opportunity to work on grade level academics within small group and individualized educational settings.
- An opportunity to increase pro-social skills within an environment that supports student acquisition of appropriate behavioral skills.
- An opportunity to improve communication skills necessary to appropriately develop positive relationships with peers and adults.
- An opportunity to be a part of the educational team that assists in developing student educational, career, and personal goals.
- An opportunity to remain in the family and community and avoid residential placement.
- An opportunity to develop entry level career skills
For more information, please contact your home school guidance counselor or the Alternative Education Principal.