STARTT Middle School Academy
Alternative Middle School
BOCES Regional Education Center
1879 West Genesee Street Road
Auburn, NY 13021
Natalie Scavone - Principal of Alternative Education
Shelly Pflug - Social Worker
This middle school program is designed to work with students, grades 6-9, who cannot be served in the home school district because of extended and prolonged disciplinary histories and/or general non-compliance to school rules. Some students enter the program through a formal superintendent's dismissal hearing and must sign a contract that clearly outlines program expectations. The program works with students in academic study areas that lead to academic and pro-social success. Innovative and collaborative connections with community and school resources enhance the academic programs. Students served by this program are in need of counseling and support services as an alternative to an imminent risk for out-of-school or residential school placement typically arranged through the PINS process. Staff will work in small group and individual settings to provide grade level academic instruction while developing strong systems of support for families via a school social worker. Family counseling is a requirement of the program where an emphasis is placed on forming partnerships between the school and home. The primary goal of the program is to reintegrate the student into their home schools. When the students demonstrate improved academic and social skills, they return to their home school, on a full-time or limited basis. This typically occurs after a semester or a complete year. Some students transition to other alternative education settings that prepare them for Regents diploma, GED, or vocational education. Students participate for three hours of academic instruction during the day. Classroom space has been designed to provide small group instruction and counseling for students and families.
Who Should Participate
Characteristics of the typical entry level students who have become the most successful include:
- Students exhibit behavior management needs beyond the scope of programming that exists in the home school and other alternative education programs.
- A variety of instructional strategies have been employed in the regular education classroom. The student continues to demonstrate serious management difficulties.
- A series of short and long term suspensions have been employed and have not been effective in modifying behaviors.
- Multiple modifications to program have been attempted with little positive result.
- The student's behavior negatively affects the learning environment of others and dramatically slows the teaching-learning process of the class.
- The student has demonstrated behaviors that could pose a health and safety concern for themselves, their peers, and their teacher.
- The student has exhibited behaviors leading toward the criminal justice system.
STARTT MS Academy offers students:
- An opportunity to work on grade level academics within small group and individualized educational settings.
- An opportunity to increase pro-social skills within an environment that supports student acquisition of appropriate behavioral skills.
- An opportunity to develop and/or increase communication skills necessary to appropriately develop positive relationships with peers and adults.
- An opportunity to be a part of the educational team that assists in developing student educational, career, and personal goals.
- An opportunity to remain in the family and community and avoid residential placement.
For more information, please contact your home school guidance counselor or the Alternative Education Principal.