Job Shadow Tips: Hosts
Job Shadow Tips: Students
Civil Service Positions Flyer
Union Jobs - Cayuga Keynote Series Flyer
Union Jobs - Cayuga Keynote Series Video
|Each Career & Technical Education (CTE) program offered at the Cayuga-Onondaga BOCES has a work-based learning activity more commonly referred to as an Internship. This means that all students prior to the end of the second year are given the opportunity to be exposed to the operation of a business and specific job duties related to careers in their subject area. This internship experience is designed to connect the skills and knowledge learned in the CTE classroom with the “real-time” requirements of business, including: good attendance, good work ethics, respect for property, good attitude, respect for others and keeping good internship records.
Internships provide a smooth transition from the classroom to the work world. Two important features that distinguish internship from traditional classroom teaching are:
- Students perform real work in an employment setting.
- The teacher/mentor demonstrates and coaches rather than telling how to complete a task.
- In addition to technical skills, the “new workplace basics”, which include problem-solving, teamwork, communication, and learning to learn, are receiving much emphasis by teachers and employers who are interested in human resource development and who are actively involved in the process of developing skilled employees.
Internship Benefits for Students
- Relevance of classroom learning is enhanced
- Students gain experience and improve technical kills in the work environment of their chosen career field
- Awareness/application of necessary employability skills to facilitate employer/employee relationship
Benefits for Employers
- Provides a continual pool of pre-screened, qualified employees
- Offers low-cost training and development programs in which potential employees can be permanently hired
- On-going contact with schools offering opportunities to communicate business needs
Benefits to the Community
- Effectiveness and relevance of education in enhanced
- Realization of a greater number of skilled workers
- Provides employees with a respect for work and positive work ethics and attitudes
- Generates a closer cooperation and understanding between the community, employers and schools